Smothered Pork Chops with Sautéed Greens
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
Serving: Serves 6 (1 serving = 1 pork chop, 1/6 sautéed greens)
Smothered Pork Chops
6 pork loin chops (“natural” center-cut, bone-in)
Black pepper 1 tbsp.
Paprika 2 tsp.
Onion powder (granulated) 2 tsp.
Granulated garlic powder 2tsp.
Flour 1 cup and 2 tbsp.
canola oil ½ cup
low-sodium beef stock 2 cups
Sliced fresh onions 1 ½ cups.
fresh scallions, sliced ½ cup
chopped and blanched fresh collard greens 8 cups
Olive oil 2 tbsp.
Unsalted butter 1 tbsp.
finely diced onions ¼ cup
Chopped fresh garlic 1 tbsp.
Red pepper flakes, crushed 1 tsp.
Black pepper 1 tsp.
Vinegar 1 tsp.
Preheat the oven to 350° F.
1. Take black pepper, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix all of these. Half of the mixture should
season both sides of the pork chops, while the other half should be mixed with 1 cup of flour.
2 tbsp. Flour mixture set aside for later.
2. Using seasoned flour, lightly coat the pork chops.
3. Heat oil in a big Dutch oven or oven-ready sauté pan (no rubber handles) medium-high.
4. Pork chops should be fried for 2–4 minutes on each side or until desired crispness is achieved. Remove the
pan from the stove and drain all but 2 tbsp of the remaining oil.
5. Cook for 4–6 minutes or until the onions are translucent. 2 tsp reserved flour stirred with onions for around 1 minute.
6. Slowly put in the beef stock and stir until it thickens.
7. Until eating, remove from the oven and set aside for at least 5–10 minutes.
1. Add greens to a pot of boiling water for 30 seconds to blanch them.
2. Remove the boiling water from the pot and put it in a ready-to-use ice and water tub.
3. Allow cooling before straining and drying the greens and setting them aside.
4. Melt butter and oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring periodically, until the onions
and garlic are slightly browned, around 4–6 minutes.
5. Cook, stirring continuously, for 5–8 minutes on high heat with collard greens and black and red pepper.
6. Remove from the stove and stir in the vinegar, if necessary.