Slow-Cooked Bavarian Pot Roast
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 5-6 hours
Total Time: 5-6 hours
Serving: Serves 12 (1 serving = 4 ounces)
Flour 4 tbsp.
Water 4 tbsp.
apple juice ½ cup
beef chuck roast 3 pounds
vegetable oil 1 tsp.
Ground fresh ginger ½ tsp.
Pepper ½ tsp.
whole cloves 3
sliced apples 3 cups
sliced onions ½ cup
Optional garnish: fresh apple slices
1. Remove any extra fat from the beef roast. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry. Rub oil on the roast’s top, then
season with ginger, pepper, and whole garlic cloves. In a hot pan with oil, sear the pot roast on all sides.
2. In a crock-pot/slow cooker, combine apples and onions. Add the pot roast to the pan and pour the apple
juice all over it.
3. Cover and cook on low for 11–12 hours or on high for about 4–6 hours.
4. Take the roast out of the slow cooker. Set it aside, but don’t forget to keep it warm.
5. Return the pot roast juices to the slow cooker after straining them. Increase the heat to high to lessen the
liquid and thicken it.
6. Combine the flour and water to make a smooth paste, then stir it into the slow cooker.
7. Cook, covered until the sauce has thickened. Just before eating, pour over the roast.
Optional: Garnish with fresh apple slices.