Black Bean Burger & Cilantro Slaw
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
Serving: Serves 6 (1 serving = 1 burger)
rinsed, drained, dried, and mashed black beans (low sodium) ½ cup
bulgur wheat ½ cup (to make: mix ½ cup hot water with ½ cup bulgur wheat and let sit for 30 minutes)
ground black pepper 1 tsp.
Granulated garlic 1 tsp.
Smoked paprika ½ tsp.
French’s Worcestershire sauce (low sodium) 1 tbsp.
Onion flakes 1 tsp.
Better Than Bouillon beef (low sodium) 1 tbsp.
sautéed onions ½ cup
scallions ¼ cup
flour 2 tbsp.
slaw mix (10-ounce bag) 3 cups
balsamic vinegar ¼ cup
cilantro 2 tbsp.
Sesame oil 2 tbsp.
Canola oil (for searing) 2 tbsp.
lime juice ¼ cup
zest one lime
mayonnaise ¼ cup
hamburger rolls 6
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
2. Combine bulgur wheat, black beans, ground black pepper, smoked paprika, granulated garlic,Worcestershire sauce, beef bouillon, onion flakes, tomatoes, and 12-cup scallions in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
3. Twelve cups of the mixture should be molded into burgers and frozen or refrigerated until solid (not
4. Vinaigrette combines vinegar, one tablespoon of cilantro, sesame oil, and lime juice in a bowl. Add all but 2
tbsp of the vinaigrette to the slaw, mix in a small bowl, gently mix, and then set aside in the fridge.
5. Set aside the mayonnaise and the remaining 2 teaspoons of vinaigrette in a separate small bowl.
6. Remove any excess flour from the black bean burgers. Spray the tops of the burgers and the burgers’
bottoms before placing them on the pre-sprayed pan. Bake for 14 minutes, flipping the burgers halfway
7. Toast the rolls and spread mayo on both sides. Top with a black bean burger and about 14 cups (or desired
amount) of slaw.
Optional: If you’re in a rush, lightly pan-sear the black bean burger on medium-high with canola oil for 4–5
minutes on each side.